There comes a time when everyone may need a little change in their life. Some might be thinking of getting back in the work force after an extended absence. For others it might be a burning desire to start a new project or to get involved in a community committee. Like learning to ride a bike, change is difficult when you don’t have momentum, direction or confidence in what you’re doing. Here are five basic steps that can help you to find a new direction and to get the wheels turning toward a more fulfilling life.
Slow Down To Speed UP
- Many time life changes create a lot of pressure to get moving.
- Create some space and time for you to make some of these biggest decisions you need to make.
- Create a space in your life where you can think
- Don’t assume you have to have a final decision on your future, right now. Life takes time, so let this process of finding yourself unfold at its own pace.
- Perhaps we need to just find the first stepping stone that will lead to the next.
- Use your quiet time to find your peace and let your peace guide you to your new path.
Remember You Aren’t What You Do
- Take the pressure off of your change by not placing your entire identity on what you “do” in your life.
- Remember your worth is already set. It is set by how you value yourself and how your God feels about you, and not what your friends, family and bosses think of you.
- Your value is already in you too. It resides in the unique gifts and talents and light that you will bring to this world.
- Ask yourself “What can you contribute to making this world a better place?” Remember that your answers don’t need to come in a traditional package of a job, a hobby or a role in the community.
- What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
- What do you love to do with your spare time? What do you hate doing?
- How much time do you have to devote to this change?
- Are you moving away from something or moving toward something?
- What are you most afraid of? What keeps you from risking?
Let Your Future Whisper To You
- ACTIVITY: Imagine your life five years from now, where you’re “Life Change” has been fully realized and you are loving what you are doing.
- You run into some friends who ask you what you’ve been up to. Explain in detail how your “Dream Life” has come together and what you are doing.
Try Your Dreams On For Size
- The best way to find out what you need to do with your life is to “try it on for size”. There isn’t a one size fits all.
- Try new things and commit to doing them for a long enough period of time and you can see if they fit you.
- Run your ideas by the people closest to you and see what they think. Truly listen to what they are actually saying to you. What do they think you ought to be doing? Where do they see being in the 5 years from now?
Be confident that by taking just one of the steps listed above, you’ll begin to get the momentum and experience you need to balance your lack of skills with your real life. Eventually, you’ll be riding like a pro!